Why you should name your chatbot
At LoQutus, we believe chatbots will become a key part of digital architectures in the near future. Chatbots are a key interface to your customers, providing basic answers and guiding customers through your services. They can help you get insights into your customer needs, while at the same time improving your operational efficiency.
From our experiences with chatbots we have a lot of lessons learned to share. Keep an eye on this space to learn more! One key thing we want to share today in this blogpost is: it's important to name your chatbots!
In recent years, businesses have evolved their architectures, offering & delivering their services in a variety of ways. A few years back, omni-channel was the way the go. Interfaces were created on different platforms, and clients could find services on different platforms, each crafted with it's own design, tailored to the platform, and (for the good ones) considering the user experience (UX) as much as those interfaces allowed.
With the emerging AI technologies, a new and simplified interface is possible: a chatbot! Stripping interactions down to the design basics of messages and responses, and with the experience for your clients like having a conversation with your business!
Customers really like to interact with chatbots. They are available 24/7, they offer quick replies and therefore save your customers time. But how do you start with chatbots? Our take on it? Name them first!
Why? Well, as Arthur C. Clarke taught us, like any sufficiently advanced technology, chatbots can be like magic. The expectation can be that it needs to be an 'all-or-nothing' chatbot, where either a chatbot can answer any question, or it's value would be close to zero. Is that the same expectation as you have with someone new on your team? Does a new team member immediatly have to know everything?
Starting with a chatbot is similar to onboarding a new team member, with some additional benefits.
- As any team member, he or she has a role to fulfill. What will be his/her job to be done? In other words, think about the use cases you want your chatbot to tackle.
- Chatbots are ideal team members to give first line support. They can quickly be thought to learn basic FAQ answers to help your customers with their most basic questions. For a customer demo, we set up a chatbot using the website FAQ in minimum time, using Microsoft QnAMaker (https://www.qnamaker.ai)
- For more advanced use cases (taking an order, processing a return, handling a complaint, ..) more training is required. It will not happen automatically, and as a team you will have to think on how you would want your chatbot to answer. Maybe your chatbot will need access to corporate data sources, the same as new team member might struggle to get access to those sources. Luckily with setting up the right API's and integrations, a chatbot can be taught very effectively where to get data. For this platforms like Flow.AI exist to help you along. For custom development frameworks like IBM's or Microsoft LUIS (Language Understanding Intelligent Service), Google DialogFlow or IBM Watson Assistant exist.
Maybe your customers start asking new questions. Would a team member automatically know what to answer? Most likely, the team would get together and discuss the ideal answer. Here chatbot analytics come into play. Even if you have a very simple chatbot, that can only answer a few basic questions, you can analyse the questions your customers have and develop these use cases for your chatbot.
So make your chatbot a member of your team and give it a name!
To summarise, our take on chatbots is:
- They are an inevitable part of your digital landscape
- Out-of-the-box services exist to start with easy use cases (e.g. Microsoft QnAMaker)
- Platforms exist that can go beyond, and tailor conversations to your organisation (e.g. Flow.ai)
- Frameworks exist to create anything you need (Microsoft Bot Service/LUIS, IBM Watson Assistant, Google DialogFlow,...)
Does this approach sound appealing to you? LoQutus can help make your chatbot dreams into reality.
- We can inspire you with demos of modern chatbots
- Together we build a vision of your future digital platform
- We can get you up and running with a basic prototype
- We can assist you in crafting and building advanced use cases for your specific context
Want to know more? Contact us!
Digital (Customer Experience) team @LoQutus